A magazine/newspaper journalist research and write news articles and features for magazines and newspapers.
You have to be proactive and persistent to get into magazine/newspaper journalism.
- Love for writing and researching
- Good listening and questioning skills
- Determination and Persistence
- Self confidence and the ability to make people feel relaxed
A Typical Day:
A typical day for a Magazine/Newspaper Journalist might include
- Ensuring work is well written, accurate and submitted to deadline
- Conducting interviews, either in person, over the phone or via email
- Researching a subject or a story
There are no set qualifications to becoming a magazine/newspaper journalist, but most journalists have a degree. Other ways to enter are:
- Practical experience by building up examples of your published work. You can get your work published by contacting publishers for opportunities to do unpaid work.
- Writing reviews for films, books and plays.