A fashion designer creates clothing including dresses, suits and accessories such as shoes, bags and jewellery.
- Often work long hours and weekends to meet deadlines
- Very intense competition in the fashion designing world
- Good sewing and pattern making skills
- An eye for colour and detail
- Ability to sketch
A Typical Day:
A typical day for a Fashion designer might include
- Examining sample materials on and off of models and then adjusting them to suit the desired effects.
- Attending fashion shows and reviewing trade magazines to keep updated with the fashion trends and consumer preferences.
- Fashion related degree. Universities in the UK that offer these courses include, London College of Fashion, Manchester Metropolitan University and De Montfort University in Leicester.
- Put together a portfolio of work that you have done to take for a course or job interview.
- Work experience is very vital in progressing as there is a strong completion in the fashion design world.