Dancers are performing artists who dance. Dance involves the movement of the body with rhythms and to music. It could also be said that dance is a form of non verbal communication between people.
A choreographer creates the dance.
- The various and diverse forms of dance include: Classical ballet, Contemporary dance, Modern stage dance, African or Asian Dance and Street dance.
- Hours of rehearsal can sometimes be long and irregular.
- Talent and Determination
- Ability to memorise routines
- High level of fitness and stamina
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to take instructions from the choreographer
A Typical Day:
A typical day for a Dancer/Choreographer might include
- Preparing for and attending auditions
- Promotions and advertisements
- Dancing competitions
- High level of training and activity in at least one form of dance.
- For professional dancers, a vocational dance school with an intensive 3 yr degree or a diploma, or a 1 yr post graduate course in professional dance or music theatre.
- To get into the 3 yr degree, you must pass an audition.
- Some dance schools ask for A levels or BTEC in performing Arts/Dance.
- Finally, having a lot of talent does get you in.